Powered By Blogger

Popular Posts

Twitterlings

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm Not Hating, I Just Don't Want To Be Bothered

Like most people, when I first joined Facebook, I was excited. I started finding all of those old classmates, thinking that, although I was a bit of a lone wolf at school, I could finally interact with those people who had opinions of me ranging from snobby to "of the Earth," on a more adult level.
And still, like most people, I posted, and I commented on posts, and I read posts, and I started remembering why I hated high school. It dawned on me that those people have not changed. And most of the ones who did change, didn't change for the better.
Like a lot of African-Americans, I went to an all-Black school, in an all-Black neighborhood where diversity was neither embraced, nor encouraged. Sure we couldn't help that the Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Indians, etc. weren't pouring into our little school system, but the school system or staff wasn't branching out to get us to learn about other cultures either. In a time where Polo, Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger ruled the wardrobes of urban Black teens, that wardrobe was also the deciding factor in who was most popular.
Unfortunately, this is still going on, except, we're no longer using clothes to judge. We're using Facebook. Now, don't get me wrong. It's nigh impossible to dissociate oneself from people you've grown up around nearly your entire life without moving to another state. And, it's also good to be able to have familiar faces and best friends in your life; but there comes (or should come) a point in time where you'd think that hanging with the same posse and clique that you had in elementary, middle and high schools, church, juvie and the clinic gets old. But alas, it hasn't. See, I've figured these people out the same way I did in high school. As long as you're supporting them and their efforts, you're in. And by supporting them, I mean showing up at every single event they have, every single birthday party (and that's only IF they invite you), commenting or liking every single post they make, wiping their noses when they sneeze, changing their tires when they have a flat, wiping their a... Well, I'm sure you get it.
I'm all for supporting local businesses and artists, but I'm not, never have been and never will be an ass-kissing lemming.
Two weeks ago, I deactivated my Facebook page. I reactivated it shortly after, but have yet to post anything. I'm not really sure if I'd like to anymore, to be honest. The hoards and hoards of BS that show up in my newsfeed are not only annoying, but are really quite pathetic. We all have our ups and downs, but to post EVERY SINGLE EFFING up and down you have on the internet can totally make you appear bi-polar (and trust me, I've had my bi-polar moments on there as well, so don't think I'm not including myself). And then there's the matter of "the haters." I can't figure out why, for the life of me, everyone is hating on YOU. I think people actually have to know and acknowledge you exist in order to hate on you. Saying you have haters is like me giving you my two cents. It's an overused cliche' and just makes you only sound important.

So, let me break down all of these people for you:
The Facebook Preacher: The one who praises God every single morning, posts scriptures, but is complaining about their job, car, and saying !@&$! you, you !&@$#@ by noon, and talking about how much they're gonna drink and who they're gonna screw by 8 p.m.
The Hopeless Romantic: The guy/girl who talks every single day about how God is gonna bring them a mate, and the next day, they've found someone, and then two days later, love sucks, then...ugh
The Businessman/Woman: "I have an opportunity you can't refuse, come to my club for Happy Hour, erase your bad credit, I do hair, I'll mow your lawn, I'll make your toes curl..."
The Entertainers (mostly wannabe's): "I'm having a concert Friday night, I know I've sent you 6 invitations, but I'm sending three more. I think I can sing because I sounded good in the shower and made a few people shout at church, plus my homegirls/boys said I can sing and I have a few groupies (male and female)."
The Habitual Picture Poster & Clubber/Model (usually one in the same): "I was standing behind this chick in line at the store! Look at me in my new outfit! Watch me make silly faces (Silly faces make me appear more down to earth, right???)! Look at my butt in this dress! Look at me in the club with my bottle of Ciroc! Oh HELLZ YEAH! I'm about to get it in in VEGAS!!!"
The Two-FacedBook Friend: The "I know we didn't talk in school, and I may have even sent you a friend request, but I don't really like you" person; or the "Oh, look at me Facebook friends! I'm so jovial! Rejoice with me as I rejoice! (The next week) "Oh no, Facebook friends! I'm so sad :-( so I'm gonna tell you so you all can kiss my feet and make me feel better" person.
The Everybody's Friend Friend: "I have over 1000 friends on Facebook because although I may have only met you once, we're friends now, so I sent you a friend request. And since I probably have no friends in real life, I believe a thousand friends makes me look popular. "
The Official Facebook Anchor (Your trusted source for non-stop news, drama, traffic, etc.): "Look at this news article! Have you heard this song? What was Janet Jackson wearing on that show?!?!?! I need THESE shoes now! I'm broke as hell! What am I gonna eat for breakfast? What am I gonna eat for lunch? I shouldn't eat because I need to lose some weight. Oh wow! It's raining geese and turtles! I'm driving, and the traffic is sooooooooo bad! OMG! I just had an accident!!!"
The Facebook Pimp: "I saw you in my Mutual Friends list and thought you look good, so can I get to know you? And, I'm married, or I'm in a "situation" but I've always wanted to talk to you."
And last, but certainly not least, The Facebookiopath: "I'm miserable, or I'm a thug, or I'm just gonna post crazy sh*t on here just because I can and F*** you all if you don't like it!"

At least four of these types of people exist in your friends' list, so, to those people (normally devoid of any type of personality or character except on the internet) who have used Facebook as their outlet, I'm going to say to them what you all have probably wanted to say to them for at least three years: STFU! You'll never have a REAL relationship because you're a whiner! (How can you maintain one anyway if you're always on Facebook?) To you and your hype man/woman: No, you really CAN'T sing! Everyone is saying that pic is nice, but they're definitely not looking at your face... I could care less how long the line at McDonald's is. Glad that you're working out again, now stop posting from the treadmill! Please stop posting pics of your kids. They're not as cute as you think they are... If I wanted a sermon, I'd go to church, but I don't really need to because you've posted the entire Bible, complete with videos of gospel songs, haven't you? I wouldn't give you the time of day in person, so why do you think you have a better shot on Facebook? And lastly: Chances are, no one is hating on you! I, like everyone else in your friends' list, haven't seen you in 15 years. I didn't come to your show and won't be attending your party. I really just don't want to be bothered!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment